since quitting my job and losing our insurance, mor and i decided to take full advantage of the advantages of being poor in america. first, we got medicaid. (only for finn; mor makes too much money for us to qualify. boo.) second, i got on wic. "i feel no personal shame or guilt"* because once mor's done with school, we'll be putting a lot more back into society that we ever took. the beauty of wic is that it pays for most of our monthly supply of milk and juice and all of our monthly supply of cheese, peanut butter, bread, eggs, cereal etc. (i say "most" because we go through more than 6gallons of milk and 64oz of juice a month. what? i'm a growing girl.) however, wic does have its downfalls. while i was at target today, i picked up a 20oz loaf of bread and reduced fat colby-jack cheese. i am only allowed to have 16oz of bread and regular colby-jack cheese. poor rhonda didn't know any better, so she kept trying to ring up that bread and cheese with a very confused look on her face. and then andy or anthony the asian manager (who is about 20yrs rhonda's junior) came over and told her very sternly that she hadn't checked the weight of the bread or the fat content of the cheese and that is why they were coming up as "not wicable." as he walked away to pick up the correct bread and cheese, she just shrugged her shoulders and said "doesn't all bread weigh the same?" apparently not, rhonda. apparently not. that sara lee makes her bread a whole 4oz heavier than wonder. when it came time to ring up my $10 worth of fresh fruit, i just threw up my hands and said i'd pay for it myself. along with my muffin mix and granola bars (both of which are "not wicable.")
also while i was waiting for andy/anthony to return with my "wicable" items, the little boy behind me asked if i wouldn't mind taking his trash please. sure, kid. since you've had to wait on my sorry a for choosing the unwicables, anything.
*name that partial movie quote. i'll give you a hint: it ends with "but i could lose my job on security grounds."
I'm living on unemployment and I don't give 2 beans about it. I LOVE it. LOVE LOVE LOVE. In case you can't tell...it's fab. I am still looking for a job but I have no qualms with being paid to look for a job. I wasn't the one who fired me, right?
ReplyDeleteAnd I am probably going to milk it.